Saturday, July 5, 2014

Side Project: Mom's Old School Bus, a 20 Year Procrastination

Stop Look and Listen! Duneland Schools #13 waits with stop sign deployed at
Mineral Springs Road for a South Shore freight to completely pass.
This project has traveled all over with me for the past 20 years. It's an old Herpa Bluebird school bus lettered for Duneland School Corporation. The decals were made using Testors decal paper and Pages on my Mac.

My mom drove for Duneland for a time, and her bus was #13. Hence my prototype.

If we wanted to get all true to period and all of that, I think I would have to locate an old late 60s/early 70s International-based bus, the kind with a curved hood. But this is a late 70s/early 80s Bluebird, which will do in a pinch. By this time, mom was driving for a different Indiana school district. But I did want to keep with the Dunes theme. I think I can live with the compromise.

13 on the boards at Mineral Springs Road after the lights and bells stopped. Mom was a stickler for safety.


No comments:

Post a Comment