Saturday, February 26, 2011

Some Very British Model Railroad Inspiration

Click to see the really impressive embiggened version
When I'm making the rounds online, Chris Nevard's blog is a place I always stop and hang around awhile.  Check out of these two photos. Chris is an outstanding modeler and photographer who really can capture a moment and a mood. Here's what appears to a passenger local bellying up to Catcott Burtle. There's a lot going on in this one photo. What intrigues me is that it is on a tiny, portable layout that Chris displays at train shows in the UK. Maybe that gig is in Dunes Junction's (distant) future.

Astute observers will note that these trains look foreign (to the American eye, anyways).  That's because they are British! Which proves my point, which is that good model railroading is where you find it. Plus, Chris doesn't just do moody period pieces--here we see a contemporary (I think--I don't know from UK diesel types) rock loader scene.  Apparently, the 'other side of the tracks' is the same on both sides of the pond, complete with unkempt shrubberies and grass growing everywhere.  This is an effect I hope to shamelessly copy on my Dunes Junction.

No comments:

Post a Comment